Building it is Easier than Promoting it.
Do it because you love it.
Do it with passion.
Do it because it makes you feel good about yourself.
Everything after that is a bonus.
That said; let me run down a list of helpful ideas that can be applied to promoting an Internet radio station
- Give people you meet a business card or postcard about your radio station or show.
- Get a magnetic sign with your radio station name and web address Put it on the back of your truck or side of your car
- Do what traditional radio stations do: create a stunt or promotion for publicity and make sure you send out Press releases about it
- Send press releases about your station to websites and publications that might be interested in your content. If you are interviewing a celebrity, tell the world!
- Consider the different shows that occur in your area (boat, diving, remodelling, etc.) and think about buying a merchant booth to give away hand-outs, promotional items, etc. Think of clever ways to tie your content into the particular event.
- Paint your car pink and write your radio station’s name all over it. Then drive it as normal.
- Work on SEO (Search Engine Optimization) so your website ranks higher.
- Hire a sign dancer to twirl a sign with your station’s name on it at a busy intersection.
- You are competing for attention in a world that is chock full of similar distractions. That is why you have to use word - of - mouth whenever you can and hope you can do something that goes a little viral or at least gets people talking about you in person, on their blog, or on Facebook or other social media.
- In the end, the best thing you can do is produce a great product. Even if you have to start small, make whatever you do worth listening to. People notice quality and superior content will speak well of who you are, what you are doing, and why people should take interest.
5 Ways Your Radio Station Can Harness Social Media
Social media is an invaluable tool for radio stations; free and easy to use, it’s an unbeatable way to connect with your listeners and gain publicity for your station. However, to ensure that your social media efforts make an impact, it is a good idea to create a strategy that will keep your posts fresh, original and entertaining from morning ‘til night.
To help you get started, we have picked out a few of the best ways to harness social media for your internet radio station:
You may have a ‘now playing’ feature on your website through your radio automation software, but from time to time, it can be good to announce what is playing on your social media platforms. The occasional ‘now playing’ tweet will give potential listeners a flavour of your station, and encourage them to tune in at peak times of the day.
However, if you want to get your audience involved, do not dictate the music 24/7. Give listeners a chance to shape their station, by encouraging them to request their favourite songs via Facebook or Twitter. You could do this on an on-going basis, or allocate times of the day when listeners can take over the station.
Giveaways are a fantastic way to generate exposure for your station. Encourage brands to donate prizes for your competitions, or get creative with fun or unusual prizes that will not break the bank. Why not pass on those guest passes you were sent by the press company, instead of keeping them for yourself? By enabling listeners to enter by sharing or re-tweeting your post, you can grow your reach and attract new listeners.
If you have big ambitions for your internet radio station, it is crucial to find a viable way to generate a regular income. Social media is a fantastic tool for stations seeking sponsorship, making it relatively simple to add value to your sponsors if you have a good following. By creating a sponsorship package that includes a detailed social media plan, you are far more likely to seal a deal.
When getting to grips with live broadcast software, you will find that a lot of your progress is made through trial and error. Social media is a quick and easy way to gain feedback from your listeners, to help you refine and improve your station. If you really want detailed feedback on specific elements of your show or station, create a poll on Twitter or Facebook where listeners can vote on subjects.
It has never been easier to promote your station as a radio DJ; social-savvy broadcasters have unlimited opportunities to gain exposure for their brand. Follow these tips to kick-start your social media strategy, to ensure that your radio station gets the attention it deserves.